The Henzells’ were a quintessential family from humble beginnings. After serving in World War 1, Roy Henzell Senior became a keen businessman working as an accountant and trying his hand as an oil tycoon until moving from Brisbane to Caloundra.
The legend behind the Henzells brand dates back to 1935 when the original Roy Henzell established the agency in partnership with his friend, Bill Farlow. By 1941, Roy had bought out his partner and lived with his young family at the back of the office on Bulcock Street.
Roy Henzell had a strong vision – to buy land in the area he loved and let progress and development catch up with him. He wanted the Caloundra area to become the same ‘resort centre’ as its southern counterparts, which he did until his death in 1961.
Into the Future
The Henzells family aimed at developing various shops in the main street of Caloundra. In 1972, Bevan moved the business into bigger premises on Bulcock Street, which is still known as Henzells Plaza today.
Much of the land that Caloundra is built on today has been either directly owned or transacted through Henzells Agency. The part the business has played in the growth of the town and the community itself it immense, from land donations for schools and parks to building major residential developments that have seen the area grow into a sought after lifestyle destination.